UPDATE, 3/10, 5:00 p.m.: The beginning of the hiking series is postponed to 3/18 due to weather.
If you have previously completed the Beginner Hiking for Fitness Program, or can hike a little more than 4 miles with at least 1,000 ft of elevation, this series is for you. The program leaders will guide you on a series of weekly hikes with the challenge increasing each week. Leaders will have group discussions about gear, hydration, hiking poles, first aid and pacing, etc. The group’s final hike aims for Bald Mountain, where hikers can enjoy stunning vistas.
The following is a list of possible routes specifically selected for this hiking series:
1) Sat 3/18 — Waterfall Loop, 2.2 miles, 595 ft elevation [meet @ main lot]
2) Sat 3/25 – Vista Trail Loop, 3.6 miles, 700 ft elevation [meet @ White Barn]
3) Sat 4/1 – Goodspeed to Nattkemper bench, 4.2 miles, 1,060 ft elevation [meet @ Goodspeed lot]
4) Sat 4/8 – Hillside, Brushy Peaks to Neptune table, and Meadow, 4.6 miles, 780 ft elevation [meet @ White Barn]
5) Sat 4/15 – Vista Trail loop counter-clockwise, 4.7 miles, 1,000 ft elevation [meet @ White Barn]
6) Sat 4/22 – Fern Lake + Loop, 5.6 miles, 1,014 ft elevation [meet @ SDC across from Sonoma Valley Regional Park’s Valley of the Moon trailhead, on the Arnold Dr side]
7) Sat 4/29 – False Lake Meadow in Trionne-Annadel State Park, 6 miles, 600 ft elevation [meet @ Annadel’s Cobblestone Trailhead]
8) Sat 5/6 – Bald Mtn summit w/optional Headwaters detour, 5.8 miles, 1,000 ft elevation [meet @ White Barn]
Please note these routes are subject to change based on the group and weather. Wear appropriate footwear for muddy or slippery trails and layers, as the group hikes in light rains. Bring water, and if desired, a snack. The group will be limited to 35 participants.
The Hiking series costs $80 (plus a $10 parking fee per visit. Note that the Sugarloaf Annual Pass is $59 and valid at Sugarloaf and Jack London SHP), or free-of-cost for hikers with a 2023 Park Rx from a participating Sonoma County Medical Provider. Click here for Park Rx info. To sign up with a Park Rx, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please have your Park Rx available at the time of sign-up, as the number of Park Rx tickets is limited and you will be asked to turn in a copy at the time of registration.
For more events at Sugarloaf, visit our calendar.