The Hiking for Fitness Series is back for 2024! Join us for the Beginner Hiking for Fitness program, where the leaders will guide you on a series of 8 weekly hikes with the challenge increasing each week. Before the first hike, the leader will discuss proper shoes, hydration, incorporating hiking poles, proper pacing, etc. The group’s final hike aims for the route up Brushy Peaks Trail, where hikers can enjoy the beautiful vistas.
The following is a list of possible routes specifically selected for this hiking series:
1) Sat 1/6 – White Barn to Uranus, 2.1 miles, 180 ft elev [meet @ white barn]
2) Sat 1/13 – Hillside-Meadow loop, 3 miles, 490 ft elev [meet @ white barn]
3) Sat 1/20 – Lake Ralphine & Spring Lake loop, 4.3 miles, 420 ft elev [meet @ Santa Rosa’s Howarth Park boathouse]
4) Sat 1/27 – Jack London State Historic Park, May’s Clearing (map link), 3.5 miles, 820 ft elev [meet @ upper parking lot, 2400 London Ranch Road, Glen Ellen, CA 95442]
5) Sat 2/3 – Vista Trail loop, 3.5 miles, 830 ft elev [meet @ white barn]
6) Sat 2/10 – Stern + Waterfall loop, 2.7 miles, 750 ft elev [meet @ main lot]
7) Sat 2/17 – Sonoma Valley Regional Park & Lake Suttonfield loop, 4.3, miles, 770 ft elev [meet at Valley of the Moon Trailhead, Sonoma Valley Regional Park, on Arnold Dr.]
8) Sat 2/24 – Hillside to Neptune picnic table, 4.4 miles, 970 ft elev [meet @ white barn]
Please note these routes are subject to change. Wear appropriate footwear for muddy or slippery trails and layers, as the group hikes in light rains. Bring at least a quart of water, and if desired, a snack. The group will be limited to 35 participants.
The hiking series costs $80, or free-of-cost for participants with a December 2023 or newer Park Rx from a Sonoma County Medical Provider. Click here for Park Rx info. The number of available Park Rx tickets is limited; please have your Park Rx ready at the time of sign up.
For more events at Sugarloaf, visit our calendar of events.