The Hiking for Fitness Series is back! Join us for the Beginner Hiking for Fitness program, where the leaders will guide you on a series of 8 weekly hikes with the challenge increasing each week. Before the first hike, the leader will discuss proper shoes, hydration, incorporating hiking poles, proper pacing, etc. The group’s final hike aims for the long route up Vista Trail, where hikers can enjoy the beautiful vistas.
The following is a list of possible routes specifically selected for this hiking series:
1) Sat 5/13 — White Barn to Uranus, 2.2 miles, 80 ft elev [meet @ white barn]
2) Sat 5/20 – Hillside-Meadow loop , 3 miles, 250 ft elev [meet @ white barn]
3) Sat 5/27 – Lake Ralphine + Spring Lake loop, 4.3 miles, 250 ft elev [meet @ Howarth Park’s boathouse]
4) Sat 6/3 – Stern, Pony Gate and Canyon, 3 miles, 500 ft elev [meet @ main lot]
5) Sat 6/10 –Jack London State Historic Park, May’s Clearing (map link), 3.7 miles, 430 ft elev [meet @ upper parking lot, 2400 London Ranch Road, Glen Ellen, CA 95442]
6) Sat 6/17 – Brushy Peaks to Neptune picnic table, 4.3 miles, 640 ft elev [meet @ white barn]
7) Sat 6/24 – Sonoma Valley Regional Park loop, 4.6, miles, 531 ft elev [meet at Valley of the Moon Trailhead on Arnold Dr.]
8) Sat 7/1 – Hillside + Vista Trail loop (counter-clockwise), 4.7 miles, 1000 ft elev [meet @ white barn]
Please note these routes are subject to change. Wear appropriate footwear for muddy or slippery trails and layers, as the group hikes in light rains. Bring at least a quart of water, and if desired, a snack. The group will be limited to 35 participants.
The hiking series costs $80, or free-of-cost for participants with a April 2023 or newer Park Rx from a Sonoma County Medical Provider. Click here for Park Rx info. The number of available Park Rx tickets is limited; please have your Park Rx ready at the time of sign up.
For more events at Sugarloaf, visit our calendar of events.