Horseback Riding in Sugarloaf
Horseback riding is available on many of Sugarloaf’s 25 miles of trails with many rides up to views of Napa and Sonoma Valleys.
Suggested Riding Trails
- Easy: From the parking area take the Meadow Trail to Hillside Trail, and then go back to the parking area. This will take about an hour at a walk.
- Moderate: Take Stern Trail or Lower Bald Mt. to Bald Mountain, and Bald Mountain to Vista Trail. Then Take Vista to Gray Pine Trail, and Gray Pine to Meadow, which will take you back to the parking area. This will take you about 2 hours.
- Moderate: Take Meadow Trail to Brushy Peaks and follow Brushy Peaks for about 2 miles. This will put you at an elevation of about 2000 ft). Stop, rest, and then come down back to the parking area following the same route you came up. This ride can take 3 hours due to the climb.
- Advanced: From the parking area, take Stern Trail to Bald Mountain. Take Bald Mountain Trail all the way to the top. This will put you at the highest spot in the park at 2,729 feet. This is quite a climb and can be especially hard on you and your horse during the summer. Enjoy the views, and then ride down to the parking area. This ride can take from 2 to 4 hours depending upon you and your horse’s condition. It is best to take this ride in the spring or fall.
- Advanced: Take Stern Trail to Bald Mountain and go all the way to the top of the Mountain. Then, take Gray Pine Trail to Brushy Peaks Trail, and Brushy Peaks to Meadow Trail which will take you back to the parking area. This is quite a work-out, (both you and your horse have to be in good condition), & and can take from 3 to 5 hours depending on your pace.
Equestrian parking facilities:
The trail-head area can accommodate 12 rigs. There is a nearby port-a-potty (at the observatory), watering trough, and some hitching posts.